I escape to the Piedmont

Today at work  I was being moved from one cubicle to another about 30 yards
away, so I could not work this afternoon. Poor baby. The timing couldn't
have been better. I left work at lunchtime and spent the afternoon exploring
the Piedmont between Columbia and Lancaster, SC, about 80 miles to the
north, including checking out Lake Wateree and Fishing Creek Reservoir.
Birds were everywhere, inclduing a few new spring arrivals. My best bird was
a Swainson's Warbler calling from a creek bottom just south of the city of
Lancaster, a county bird for me in Lancaster County. Donna, I did not hear
our favorite Blue-headed Vireo on Road 101, but it was very hot and still at
the time.

Here is my day list, inclduing birds from Fairfield, Lancaster, and Kershaw
Counties, SC, as seen or heard from roadsides and boat ramps, mostly:

Double-crested Cormorant
Great Blue Heron
Great Egret
Canada Goose
Mallard
Black Vulture
Turkey Vulture
Osprey
Red-shouldered Hawk
Killdeer
Bonaparte's Gull
Ring-billed Gull
Herring Gull
Rock Dove
Mourning Dove
Chimney Swift
Ruby-throated Hummingbird
Belted Kingfisher
Red-headed Woodpecker
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Eastern Phoebe
Great Crested Flycatcher
Eastern Kingbird
Purple Martin
Northern Rough-winged Swallow
Cliff Swallow
Barn Swallow
Blue Jay
American Crow
Fish Crow
Carolina Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
Brown-headed Nuthatch
Carolina Wren
House Wren
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
Eastern Bluebird
American Robin
Northern Mockingbird
Brown Thrasher
Cedar Waxwing
Loggerhead Shrike (near Heath Springs in Lancaster County -- a good bird in
the Piedmont)
European Starling
White-eyed Vireo
Yellow-throated Vireo