Rub my eyes

Hi folks;
This morning while making some blackberry muffins, and trying to relocate my
web page (it is at http://alexnetherton.com for those interested) I heard a
strange Catbird-like song, and thought "oh the Catbird is back". I peeked
out the bedroom window, only to see a rather large Mocker. I thought, "well,
he must be a youngster, and hasn't learned to repeat stuff over and over
(and over and over)". Walking past the front door, I heard this same song,
identical in every way, sounding like a Catbird sequence. I peeked out the
front door, and saw a good sized burnt orange and black bird sitting kind of
hunched over in my Rose of Sharon tree, along with the Mocker and a Song
Sparrow. Looked just like the picture of an Orchard Oriole in Peterson's. I
went to get the binos, and of course (*sigh*) he flew off. Same old stuff,
different day, you know?
Anyway, I am not completely sure it was an Orchard, so I still have Orchard
as a "probably" on my life list.
However, my question for all you Ornithological types, as I am more of a
Herpetologist, and no, we don't study Herpes, darn it, is, what do I do to
keep him and a possible girl friend around? I think he might be here because
I installed a garden pond, or a pond garden (sometimes I am not sure) in my
front yard. How do I make the habitat more suitable for an Oriole? I live in
a suburb of Asheville, and have never in my life seen an Oriole in this
neighborhood. It would be nice to have a resident one.
Alex Netherton, the Appalachian Naturalist
alexnetherton@att.net
Asheville, NC
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mountainbirding/