birds at Mason Farm, Chapel Hill, NC

I went out to Mason Farm this morning (Sunday) from 7:30 to about 11:30.  I suppose the most notable bird would be a Blue-winged Warbler.  To get to where I saw the bird, one could go left at the point where the main path, from the parking lot, splits into a "V" after the kiosk.  The path eventually turns right, passes a large field on the left and a hedgerow on the right.  After this, the path enters a wooded area, with trees on both sides.  About 100 feet further down the path is where I came across the Blue-winged Warbler.  It was singing occasionally and sometimes chasing a Black and White Warbler and White-eyed Vireo.  The bird preferred to stay on the left side of the path, in the younger trees.  This could be the same bird seen earlier by Mr. Pippen.  On the right side of the main path, after going right at the "V", I thought I heard another Blue-winged Warbler.  Unfortunately, I did not get to see this bird (only heard), and it stopped singing.

Unusual was that I did not see or hear any Red-headed Woodpeckers.  I heard only 1 Ruby-crowned Kinglet -- feels like it was only yesterday when there were many at Mason Farm.

Some other birds were:

Great Blue Heron
Wood Duck
Red-tailed Hawk
Red-shouldered Hawk
Turkey Vulture
Pileated Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Blue Jay
Eastern Bluebird
Hermit Thrush
Wood Thrush
Gray Catbird
Indigo Bunting
Summer Tanager
Carolina Chickadee
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
Carolina Wren
House Wren
Red-eyed Vireo
Myrtle Warbler
American Redstart
Hooded Warbler
Prairie Warbler
Prothonotary Warbler
Northern Parula
Pine Warbler
Ovenbird
Common Yellowthroat
Swamp Sparrow
White-throated Sparrow
Field Sparrow
Rufous-sided (Eastern) Towhee
Brown-headed Cowbird
American Goldfinch

Elisa Enders
eenders@unity.ncsu.edu
student, North Carolina State University (Raleigh, NC