piping plover, Jockey's Ridge Beach

Hello,

Just returned from a week in the Outer Banks; had to
take our spring vacation earlier than we wanted to
this yr., and so not as many shore birds migrating as
we usually see...but we did see a single piping plover
on one of the exposed sand bars behind Jockey's Ridge.
This is the esturane on Shallowbag Bay. There are
usually 2-3 sand bars exposed at low tide. These are
near the two osprey platforms (one has an active
nest). We've seen piping plovers there in the spring
in years past. This one we saw today, April 21. These
sand bars are a delight in spring...all the tern
species gather there and engage in mating activity.
Today we saw, royal, least, and Forster's. We usually
see sandwich terns as well. They'll probably be
hanging out there for the next 3-4 weeks. They do not
nest there. I worry about these birds, as this is a
popular local spot for walking dogs, and most folks
unleash them. I spoke to a ranger today about my
concern for the plover in particular, and he said he'd
see about posting signs. If anyone else sees the
piping plover there, it might help to stop by the
ranger's station and put in another request or two.

Also today, we saw a sora and solitary sandpiper at
Pea Island, just as you begin the walk behind the
visitor's center. Lots of mosquitoes out, too, with
the heat we had this past wk.

At Alligator River Wildlife Refuge, we saw the usual
spring warblers: praire, prothonotary and commom
yellowthroat. Also saw distinct bear tracks, but no
bear. We had one very brief wolf sighting.

A flock of 6 whimbrel were up and down the beach at
the south end of Nags Head, just north of Coquina
Beach.

linda and skip

=====
--Linda Jeannette Ward