my eye is on the (swamp) sparrow . . .

on friday, 4/26, while looking with binoculars at the white-throated
sparrows underneath my feeder -- now down to 4 in number (3 tan- and 1
white-striped) -- i spotted the rufous cap of a swamp sparrow! the bird
stayed through sunday. and sunday afternoon, for contrast, a chipping
sparrow appeared and fed ON the feeder rather than under, just to be
different from the white-throated sparrows and the swamper, which scratched
around on the seed-strewn ground.
i never would have differentiated the swamp sparrow from the white-throateds
with my naked eye alone. so even in the midst of warbler-madness, it pays to
look carefully at those sparrows! a migrant could appear. (did i mention
that i don't live in a swamp but in a moist, mixed pine and deciduous
woods?) cheers!
ginger_travis@unc.edu
near chapel hill, n.c.