Re: my eye is on the (swamp) sparrow . . .

Ginger and C-birders,

You are right! It's good to pay attention!

While recovering from the Chapel Hill Bird Club trip
Sunset Beach, Twin Lakes and Green Swamp on Saturday,
I lazily stared out my window at birds yesterday.

An out-of-place size/shape/color made me walk out on
the deck for a closer look.
It was an adult male White-crowned Sparrow about
30' away from the house/feeders 15' up in a tree.
He sat there looking droopy-eyed and slightly fluffed
for 2 hrs after I spotted him.
This was late morning, well ahead of the front that
moved through in the evening.

I had plenty of Chippies on the ground under the
feeders but he never joined them.

I live buried in the woods
(large old trees: hardwoods>>pines),
little open area, a creek and springs and have never
seen
a White-crowned anywhere near my house.

Hmmmm.

Jill Froning
n. Chatham Co (just south of Chapel Hill)