Johnston Mill, Durham

Hi Folks,

On Amalie Tuffin's advice, I headed to Johnston Mill off Mt Sinai
Road yesterday evening: a delightful corner of Durham! A beautiful
gravel and rock stream bed with some rocky bluffs, extensive areas of
quite mature woodland with a few very majestic old trees.

Although I missed the waterthrushes, other birds were very vocal and visible:

ovenbird 3
wood thrush 6+
hooded warbler 2
scarlet tanager 2
summer tanager 1
Acadian flycatcher 2
bg gnatcatcher 10+
wild turkey: in a tree! Frightened the hell out me when it burst from
cover 20 feet above my head!
g catbird 2
plus all the usual titmice, mockers etc

There were also a number of flowering plants that I could not
identify: maybe someone on the list with a botanical leaning could
visit and give them a look over for me/us?

There also seems to be a huge abundance of cowbirds this year,
something others on the list have noted. My feeders are completely
dominated by them and I'm hearing their high whistles everywhere. Bad
news for the rest of the avian world... ;(

--
Steve Perry

Receptor Biology Lab, Duke Uni Med Center, Durham, NC

stevep@receptor-biol.duke.edu