Sandhills Birds

In Southern Pines (NC), there are several locations where White-throated
Sparrows are still common. I have 6-8 still being seen daily in our
yard. All are the "tan-stripe" morph. Have Spring Count participants in
other locales noted similar "hangers-on"?

I located 2 Vesper Sparrows off Young's Rd., Southern Pines, on 28
April. This species is seldom found in the Sandhills of NC during
spring.

Brian Patteson, in collaboration with Victor Emmanuel (VENT Tours), will
be involved in leading a trip to Antarctica in early 2003. The dates are
January 17-February 4. Participants will be aboard ship, with many
Zodiac landings, from the Falkland Islands to South Georgia Island (both
sub-Antarctic) and on down to the Antarctic Peninsula. Not only are the
landings wonderful opportunities for nesting penguins, albatrosses,
etc., the passage through very productive ocean waters provide great
viewing of petrels, prions, and storm petrels available few other
locations in the world! I had this experience a few years ago and will
gladly provide details of my trip at the Spring CBC meeting for anyone
interested. Brian has considerable information at his website
www.patteson.com

Wayne Irvin
910 695 7269
145 Riding Lane