Backyard Birds, Columbia, SC

We read many reports of exciting migration activity, mostly in North Carolina.
While not as impressive, let me report on some nice action down here
at home in Columbia, SC.  We live in the Irmo area, in Lexington County,
on a sloping wooded half-acre lot with Rawls Creek in back.  There is a
narrow pond behind by a small dam (weir) that is designed to challenge the
golfers at the nearby Coldstream course.  After four years here, our yard list
has been growing only very slowly, reaching 97 this winter.

Two new birds joined our yard list last week:  A Chuck-will's Widow
called at nightfall a week ago.  The next day I heard a Yellow Warbler up
in a Hickory tree in front.  This colorful male eventually popped out into
plain view.  It was especially sweet-sweet-so-sweet because we never before
had a Yellow Warbler at home in 16 years living in the Irmo area.

Louisiana Waterthrush has been singing out most mornings (but not today).
A singing Yellow-throated Vireo, which finally came out to the edge of the
woods, was the highlight of the weekend.  I find a couple each spring here.

The White-throated Sparrows are still here, and they seem to have mastered
their songs after much practice.  Some American Goldfinches remain, though
they are no longer interested in the thistle seed.  Cedar Waxwings still
visit up in the treetops.  Lots of Yellow-rumped Warblers are still
chipping in the trees.  I heard a singing Ruby-crowned Kinglet today.

Too many House Finches are around, along with the other usual suspects.
Eastern Bluebirds eggs began hatching in the box along our driveway over
a week ago, and a second pair is interested in the box in the backyard.
Two male Bluebirds had an all-out brawl in front of us on Sunday.

There was a new squeaking call early this morning high up in the trees,
not unlike the sound made by the wobbly chrome legs of this old dinette
table where I am typing:  Rose-breasted Grosbeaks!  I heard several, but
never managed to see one.  They are my first of the year.

Checking later this morning in the trees near the creek, I heard a new,
less familiar song mixed in with those of several American Redstarts and
Yellow-Rumped Warblers.  I located the singer up in a tree just across
the pond.  It was a gorgeous male Chestnut-sided Warbler!  This addition
to our yard list is species #100!

Checking the woods near the creek once again later, I spotted an active
bird up in the trees.  It flew into the Climbing Hydrangea and Virginia
Creeper vines in a tall Loblolly Pine.  It looked somewhat plump, with a
bright unstreaked yellow chest, a greenish back with no wingbars or
striping, and some sort of stripe across the face.  I expected to make it
into a Common Yellowthroat with a better view.  I never saw the head well,
just enough to see that it didn't have the mask of male CYT.  I did see
from behind and underneath that it was whitish underneath rather than yellow.
It did not remind me of the Tennessee Warblers I have seen.
I believe it was a Philadelphia Vireo!  Any help with the ID is welcome!

High clouds moved in as noon approached.  Before I left for the office,
I heard and then saw a nice Prairie Warbler in a Willow along the Pond, my
second of the spring.

While the number of species is not remarkable, the selection has been
most colorful and interesting!
---
Jerry Griggs       j@sc.edu
Columbia, SC