Re: Rose-breasted Grosbeaks/ Warbler Rd./ funny Crow/ Worm-eating's vocalization

Well, today makes nine days in a row that I have had Rose-breasted Grosbeaks
in the yard, having first spotted a male on 4/23.  Have seen at least 3
different females, and at least 2 males.  I'm thinking that it's the same
group of birds that I'm seeing everyday.  I don't think I'de be seeing them
on a daily basis otherwise.  Any comments?

Have seen much variation in the females' breast streaks and the amount of
buffiness.  Also, read that the shape of the male's rose triangle is unique
on each bird, though seems like the differences would be so minute that they
would be hard to discern, BUT I have been watching one male that I can tell
is the same bird because of this.

I won't be able to attend the CBC this weekend because of plans on Sun. that
I can't cancel, but thanks to everyone who advised me about Max Patch.

Jill Froning and I, after reading Brian's post about Warbler Rd. thought at
least a one-day Warbler trip there could be manageable.  On the map looks as
if it's only about 2 1/2 hours from the Triangle.  We may see you and Eric
there on Sat., Brian.!

Donna Bailey and other crow fans,
The other day, I saw an American Crow on the ground under one of my feeders.
I have had 2-3 here daily this year for the first time.  I thought for a
moment that it was dead, it was sprawled out and so lifeless, though it was
apparently just sunbathing.  He was lying down, wings spread out, head
flipped way back and twisted slightly sideways, and bill pointing straight up
and wide open.  He eventually got up and walked away, but I had never seen a
crow sunbathe and it was a very unusual and amusing (once I realized that he
was alive!) sight to see.

Jules Fraytet wrote:
>>Traveling back from Burlington,NC today, I heard a Worm-Eating Warbler at
the
I85/40 west bound rest stop in an oak.  Confirmed his dry insectlike
trill with my Peterson More Birding by Ear tape while driving away.<<

I've only seen one Worm-eating Warbler, and that was one in my yard last
fall.  Have never heard the vocalization, except on my "Birding by Ear" tape.
 Are they really that easy to distinguish from other trills, such as Chipping
Sparrow's.... without visual confirmation?

sorry for the lengthy post,
Shelley Theye

Shelley Theye
N. Chatham County, NC   (south of Chapel Hill)
Psbmt@aol.com