migrants in Halifax County, NC (northeastern NC)

Here are two sightings from the farm my parents live on in Halifax County, NC.  They live approximately 10 miles south of Roanoke Rapids, NC (west of interstate 95) in northeastern NC.

My mother saw TWO Red-headed Woodpeckers in the dying black oak on their property this morning.  Usually there is but one, and later in May.  They are harder to find in Halifax County than in the area near Raleigh.

Also, my father heard a Y-b Cuckoo in a low-lying, wooded area behind the farm, first for the year.

Elisa Enders
eenders@unity.ncsu.edu
student, North Carolina State University (Raleigh, NC)