Sampson County birds

I've been doing some field work along parts of Great Coharie Creek and
the Black River in Samnpson County in the past week. I heard a
Worm-eating Warbler in a pine plantation thicket near the Black River
Apr. 26.

Along the Great Coharie, I made stops along 6 bridge crossings from
south of Newton Grove to NC 24 west of Clinton. It is very birdy, and at
the southern two bridge crossings I had 2 soaring ANHINGAS each. I
assume they are nesting somewhere along the river west of Clinton. A few
Great Blue Herons were with them, probably nesting somewhere locally
also. I heard 3 Swainson's Warblers and 4 Kentucky Warblers, the latter
a nice total. Interesting, I heard NO Hooded Warblers -- they seem to
like the pine plantations or drier woods off the floodplains.

Every now and then I hear of requests for good spots for Swainson's. I
must have had them at 50-100 places in NC, but I wouldn't say anywhere
is truly good (3-5 or more in an hour). Most are simply 1 bird along one
bridge, at one rhodo patch in the mts., etc. I suppose Maple Road at the
southern end of Alligator River NWR is the best spot.  My
recommendation: Pick out some blackwater river or large creek, and make
stops along the roads cutting across the swamps, and get out and listen.
Try to pick poorly travelled roads! Seems like Great Coharie isn't too
bad for them.
--
Harry LeGrand
NC Natural Heritage Program