WAS trip, 5-04

Hi y'all,
    Waccamaw Audubon took a field trip to Punchpole Landing on the Little
Pee Dee River this morning. Under threatening skies (with a brief sprinkle)
the majority of the birds tallied were "heard only." With an impending
storm, I presume the m.o. is eat first, sing later. Some of the cool birds
in the Independent Republic of Horry...

Y-b Cuckoo
Acadian Flycatcher
G-c Flycatcher
R-e Vireo
W-e Vireo
N. Parula
Yellow-throated
Pine
Black-and-white (many calling, one seen)
Prothonotary (a bunch)
Worm-eating
Swainson's (several, one seen after the trip "on territory")
Ovenbird
Kentucky
Common Yellowthroat
Hooded (many)
Blue Grosbeak
Summer Tanager

And the usual suspects, with a Brown Thrasher on a nest. Also a snapping
turtle depositing eggs on the edge of a trail on a scrub oak sandhill
adjacent to a cypress bottom. Given the amount of tire tracks, survival of
members of that clutch will border on the miraculous. A much smaller member
of the species met its demise just prior to the start of the trip under the
truck and trailer tires of a cpl of good ol' boys headed to the river.

Around home this p.m. doing the yard work thing, saw:

Y-b Cuckoo
R-t hummingbirds
R-b Grosbeak - woohoo!
Orchard Oriole - wailing away
baby C. wrens, chickadees, titmouses, House finches.

Pretty sporty day. I'll be back on the case in G'town Cty tomorrow.

Cheers y'all,

;-)

Gary Phillips
Conway, SC
Sunset Zone 31
walela@sccoast.net
"...where is the person, I ask, who, on observing this glittering fragment
of the rainbow, would not pause, admire, and turn his mind with
reverence..." (J. J. Audubon)