Chimney Rock Birds (5-5-02)

A group of us, Dom & Emma D'Ostilio, Gerry Fedde, Lori and I went to Chimney
Rock Park this morning after leaving the CBC meeting.  This was the first
birding visit to the park for Gerry, Lori and me and boy did we have a great
time.  We had 50 species and very good looks at most of them.  Here is our
list:

Spotted Sandpiper (Not even on the park check list for spring and we had it
in the middle of the road near the Woodland Trail!)
Black Vulture
Turkey Vulture
Yellow-billed Cuckoo
Ruby-throated Hummingbird
Pileated Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
Great-crested Flycatcher
Eastern Phoebe
Eastern Wood-Pewee
Northern Rough-winged Swallow
American Crow
Blue Jay
Carolina Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
White-breasted Nuthatch ( We saw adults feeding a fledgling right beside the
trail)
Carolina Wren
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
American Robin
Eastern Bluebird
Wood Thrush
European Starling
Red-eyed Vireo
Blue-headed Vireo
Black-throated Green Warbler
Northern Parula
Black-and-white Warbler
Blackpoll Warbler
Cerulean Warbler
Canada Warbler
Magnolia Warbler
Yellow-rumped Warbler
American Redstart
Palm Warbler (We had 2 and they are listed as accidental for spring)
Swainson's Warbler (We all got a very good look at this one)
Worm-eating Warbler
Hooded Warbler
Louisiana Waterthrush
Ovenbird