One quick squirrel...

Nanci and I were sitting at the edge of our short driveway looking at some
flowers and listening to the birds when we realized a wood thrush and
chickadee were alarming non-stop across the gravel road.  Nanci called it
first, she thought the barred owl that's been hunting in our yard was back.

I stalked over and sure enough there he was, perched up in a poplar looking
the other direction.  Slipping closer, using the trunk of the poplar he was
on and the alarms of the other birds for cover, I got to a good vantage
point where I could watch him as I removed my shoes and then stood still.
He stayed as still as a rock for a few minutes before dropping off his perch
and gliding silently into the trees.  He banked hard to the right and tried
to grab a squirrel right off the side of a large pine.  The squirrel dodged
him though, scampering down around the trunk to the opposite side.  Any bird
or mammal in the area that didn't know the owl was there sure did after
that.

I couldn't help but admire the owl's patience.  Thrush's, chickadees, red
bellied woodpeckers, titmice, nuthatches, squirrels, and a summer tanager
all alarmed at the top of their lungs at one time or another.  It were as if
the entire forest was taking turns tattling on the owl.  He just sat still
though, perched for a good 20 minutes waiting for all the calls to die down
and silence to return.  At one point while I stood watching him a wood
thrush landed about eight feet directly behind me, gave out a few short
alarm
calls, and then burst into song.  Their song is one of my favorites, I
turned my head slowly so I could watch him singing.  What a gift that was!

I'd made my way around the owl and deeper into the woods by the time all was
quiet again, toward the direction I thought he'd fly off.  My goal is to
find his nest.  They're clearcutting in the area and I suspect the tree he's
nested in will be one that goes down, if he's nested where I think he is.
Eventually the squirrel he had gone for started making a little noise from
the snag she was hiding in.  This was right in front of me.  It's amazing
how keen the owl's ears are, he picked up the noise instantly and looked in
that direction.  The squirrel peered out of the snag and must have thought
everything was okay hearing nothing but silence.  She crept out of the snag
and down to the ground.  Scampering across the forest floor she was trying
to reach  her home tree but the owl sprang into action and went for her
again.  This squirrel must have been a local though, or have eyes in the
back of her head.  She leapt to the backside of another tree just in time
and remained unscaved.  The owl sort of hovered there for a second and went
for a second attempt, but he didn't even come close.  The squirrel moved
around in a wide circle and made her way back to the snag right in front of
me and hopped into its safety.  I don't think she planned to make that
mistake again.

The owl must have known the squirrel wasn't falling for anymore tricks, as
he stayed on his perch watching the snag for a few minutes but then
retreated deeper into the woods.  I followed him, praying he would lead me
to the nest.  I was able to keep him in sight and stalk to his new perch a
few times but eventually he tired of my company and flew off far beyond my
sight.  I was begging and pleading with the spirit of the owl to warn him of
the danger he's in, and praying to the creator to guide me to his nest.  All
was to no avail though, darkness set in and I had no choice but to return
home.  I could hear the owl hooting behind me as I walked away, another one
across the street near my yard answering the call.  I know the woods he's
been hunting for the last week now, and am narrowing down where his nest can
be, I only hope to get there in time.  I thanked the owl for his lessons in
patience and stillness and prayed for his safety.  I also thanked the
squirrel for showing me the importance of awareness.

Any tips on good techniques for locating an owl's nest?

Take care, Craig Armstrong / Chapel Hill