RE: One quick squirrel...

>First, it is getting late in the breeding season and your owls
>may already be off the nest and feeding younguns in the trees -- if
>that's the case you can listen for the high-pitched squeals of the owlets
as
>they call for food much of the day.

That's good to hear, hadn't thought of it.  I walked the land they have
already clear-cut yesterday and ended up startling two owls in the trees
when I got to the spot where I think they're nested.  They were both side by
side and took off with a wonderful beating of their wings when I came under
their position.  Sort of sounded as sudden as a mourning dove taking flight
but a different louder pitch.  I did hear a squeal that sounded out of
place, one I didn't recognize, but don't know if that were a little one or
not.  Thanks for the info though, will look closer tonight.

>If the owls are on a nest it is most likely a hole in a tree trunk
>(although they occasionally take over actual twig nests), but it is
>VERY difficult to track an owl back to their nest as they never
>go to it if they know they are being watched. From your description,
>the owl you were watching (hunting) was the male and the one that returned
>its call would be the mate at the nest, if the babies haven't
>left the nest, so look for a good-sized hole in a tree trunk (20-40 ft.
>high) in that direction.

I'm relatively sure these ones are in a tree cavity.  There's only one
larger stick nest I've found (definitely doesn't mean more aren't around
though) in the area.  It's been used the last couple years by a Red
Shouldered hawk, she must have found better accommodations this year.  The
nest looks as though it has been vacant all year.  My only problem right now
is trying to see up 40 feet or so into the canopy to find their cavity, it's
a pretty lush area and you can't really see past the understory very well.

I've been hoping I'd get the chance to witness what Josh mentioned, see one
of them get a kill so that I could follow them back to the nest.  We'll see
though, the search continues tonight.

Thanks again, Craig Armstrong / Chapel Hill