Re: Georgetown County, NAMC

on 05-11-2002 at 20:25, jack peachey wrote:

>...saw was the precopulation ritual of two Common Ground Doves-the male
graped the female on the bill with his bill (something like a headlock)
threw her around a bit and then pounded her on the top of the head with his
bill. He did this several times before
copulation took place. Talk about tough love!<

hmmm...interesting. might be a "family" thing (reference to the Family that
doves are classified in.) i've observed MODO (oops, that stands for Mourning
Dove) engaging in similar behavior.

ok, this is ancient history, but it has stayed with me for several days now.
so, just to set the record straight i don't get "paid to play with animals,"
nor am i affiliated or acquainted with any wildlife biologist who does.

"and that's all i have to say about that." (Forrest Gump)

Cheers y'all,

;-)

Gary Phillips
Conway, SC
Sunset Zone 31
walela@sccoast.net
"...where is the person, I ask, who, on observing this glittering fragment
of the rainbow, would not pause, admire, and turn his mind with
reverence..." (J. J. Audubon)