Wild Turkey in Durham

C'birders,

This is almost as good as last Sunday's Anhingas ...

About 15 minutes ago I was near the end of my run around Hillandale Golf Course (without bins - must get a pair of compacts) when I saw a very large dark bird glide across the clearing on the southern edge of Indian Trail Park, near the corner of Sprunt St. and Virginia Ave. Expecting it to be one of the pair of GH Owls I've often heard in this area, I stopped to search and found instead the unmistakeable silhouette of a Wild Turkey some 50 feet up in a pine tree. I watched for a minute or two 'til it walked along the limb, then with a great commotion took off again and flew across Sprunt St. and disappeared into the treetops of a yard on Virginia Ave.

Think I'm gonna like this neighborhood ...

Dan Kaplan, urbanized birder
Durham