Re: Johnston Co., NC, birds

Wanted to reply to Erik Thomas' post from last week about a birding spot on
Middle Creek in Johnston County off Smith Road.  The tract of land
immediately north of the Creek was acquired by Triangle Land Conservancy at
the end of last year.  The preserve is 160 acres on both sides of the road.
The "no trespassing" signs that Erik described are probably from the
previous landowner, as TLC posts its properties with no hunting signs and
small, orange TLC signs to mark the parcel lines.

To all: please feel free to bird this property but be forewarned that we
have not developed trails there as it is not advertised to the public.  We
are interested in receiving any sighting records you collect on this land
(and, for that matter, any land that we protect, including Johnston Mill
Nature Preserve or Swift Creek Bluffs).  Also, we are looking for a site
steward for this property, someone to help us monitor the land and serve as
our "eyes and ears" since we can't be there every day.  The minimum
requirement is a quarterly monitoring report.  Until we can get it posted,
before you bird this property you may want to request a map from the TLC
office so you know the property boundaries.  Also, if you bring a group of
people to the property, we request advance notice.

For more information about Triangle Land Conservancy, please visit our
website at www.tlc-nc.org or call 919-833-3662.

To keep this message adequately birdy, I'll mention that last weekend I
"birded" Lake Mattamuskeet and Cape Hatteras National Seashore - as much as
I could bird without my binoculars (stolen - if you're looking to sell a
used pair, please let me know).  Highlights for me were black-bellied plover
and Wilson's plover on the beach, two calling Chuck-will's-widows at the
Ocracoke campground, and at least four otter in the canal along the access
road at Lake Mattamuskeet.  At Swan Quarter there were three black vultures
feasting on a dead raccoon on the road - this is the second group of black
vultures that I've approached from the car that seem very bold, waiting
until the last moment as a car approaches before flying away.

Lorelei Costa
Triangle Land Conservancy
1101 Haynes Street, Suite 205
Raleigh, NC  27604