RE: Johnston Co., NC, birds

>At Swan Quarter there were three black vultures
>feasting on a dead raccoon on the road - this is the second group of black
>vultures that I've approached from the car that seem very bold, waiting
>until the last moment as a car approaches before flying away.
>Lorelei Costa

Hi Lorelei,

I've experienced this quite a bit too.  I usually stop and move the roadkill
farther away from the road, hoping to prevent more dead wildlife and let the
vultures eat in peace.

A good tip I heard recently is to check the pouch for babies if the roadkill
is an opossum.  I like that one too.

Take care, Craig Armstrong / Chapel Hill