Panthertown Valley, NC, Report

On Saturday I went on a Nature Conservancy sponored hike in Panthertown
Valley near Cashiers, North Carolina, which was lead by Aaron Cook.  The
valley is truly spectacular and was "full" of Black-throated Blue Warblers
and Ovenbirds with lesser numbers of Yellow,  Redstart, Black-and-White,
Chestnut-sided, and Canada.  Since I'm doing a North American big warbler
year I headed to Max Patch Road (Haywood County, NC) to look for
Golden-winged Warblers this morning.  In the overgrown pasture along Max
Patch Road just past the junction of Sugar Cove Road I had 3 singing males
including a very cooperative male which appears to include a briar patch at
this junction in his territory.  The Golden-winged was warbler #33 for my
big year.

Keith E. Camburn
4435 Huntington Drive
Gastonia, North Carolina 28056