1-legged birds

I'm not surprised to hear about Bruce Krucke's one-legged bunting. While
banding in my backyard in Connecticut years ago I captured a one-legged,
black-capped chickadee. The leg was missing below the tibiotarsus at the
joint, and there was complete healing shown. The fascinating part was that I
recaptured the bird on several occasions over the next 5 years, and would see
it often at my bird feeder. Of course, I did not band it but its unique
injury made it more than easily identified.

Ed Hiestand
Hatteras Island Wildlife
Rodanthe, NC