Yellow-crowned Night Herons

I first found Yellow-crowned Night Herons nesting along New Hope Creek
(River?) back in the mid-1970s, when I was working on an Environmental
Impact Statement for the (new) Jordan Lake and Dam Project (NC).  I
actually found the nest at least one of the years that I was censusing, and
saw young birds on many occasions.

This was before any "wildlife impoundments" had been built, and New Hope
Creek was still really just a tongue of coastal plain river bottom habitat
sticking up into the piedmont.  Quite beautiful, in it's
way.  Mosquito-laden.  Silt deposits from intermittent floods.  But
Prothonotarys and Redstarts galore.  And those Yellow-crowneds.  Glad they
are still around.

Norm

Norman Budnitz, nbudnitz@duke.edu
919-684-3592 (day), 919-383-0553 (eve), 919-660-7293 (fax)

(work) Biology Dept, Duke Univ, Box 90338, Durham NC 27708
(home) 4115 Garrett Drive, Durham NC 27705

PROGRESS: the victory of laughter over dogma.
(Tom Robbins, Half Asleep in Frog Pajamas)