Cape Lookout/fishing man's pelagic

Just read about John Fussell & friends vigil at Cape Lookout Point this
morning
(5/27).  I hope they figured out a way to hitch a ride out there cause its a
right
fair walk from the old Coast Guard dock to the point.

I was also at Harker's Island & the Cape today, but unaware of John's
presence.
Went out early this morning with my brother to troll for Spanish Mackeral.
We
only trolled between the rock jetty and the old gun mounts, so we were a
couple
of miles shy of making it to the point.  We stayed mostly within a quarter
to a
half a mile off the beach but I still was able to get three pelagics- 1
Cory's
Shearwater; 1 Sooty Shearwater & 1 Wilson's Storm-petrel.  Also saw 3 or 4
late
Gannets.  I wonder if the Sooty S. we saw was the same bird John saw as it
didn't
seem to be in any hurry- just milled around and sat on the water near some
feeding
gulls & terns for a while.

The ocean was very calm this morning and I thought about what a good day it
looked
like it was going to be for the regular pelagics.  A message on my answering
machine
from Rich & Susan Boyd just now seems to bear that out-- but I won't steal
their
thunder.

Fussell might have wanted to trade places today . . .

Wade Fuller
New Bern, NC
fuller@coastalnet.com