Louisiana Waterthrush

    Finally, after hearing them near the creek this spring, this AM there was
a Louisiana Waterthrush singing very close to the house, by the screened
porch.  Saw some movement in the lower branches of the dogwood right by the
porch.  Sure enough, got my first ever view of a Louisiana Waterthrush.  It
sat still with it's back to me, a little fluffed up like it had just been
preening, with it's tail spread out a bit. The lower mandible seemed fairly
orange when it turned it's head, not sure if the light was exaggerating this,
and the legs were bright pink.  Then it proceeded to walk along the
horizontal branch, bobbing it's tail, till it flew back into the woods toward
the creek.  Got nice looks at the field marks, except forgot to notice the
flanks, realized this afterwards when flipping through a few field guides.
Also got to hear it's call note repeatedly.

Shelley Theye

Shelley Theye
N. Chatham County, NC   (south of Chapel Hill)
Psbmt@aol.com