Chuck-Wills Widow

Saturday at noon my door bell rang and it was the care-taker of a cemetery
three miles south of Loris.  He wanted to know if I could identify a
Whipporwill as a hen was sitting on a nest.  Later I met him and he showed
me the bird which I observed at close range with binoculars before it flew
off, and left two fluffy beige brown chicks.  I told him that my
inclination was that it was a Chuck-Wills Widow and would return that
evening to hear the song.  It was a Chuck.
	Yesterday I called Phyllis W and asked if she wanted to take a chance at
seeing it.  We went to the nest location.  The chicks were gone but
obviously nearby.  The hen flew about us and scolded as she was trying to
lead us away from her brood.  Her manner of leading us away from the nest
was much different from that of a Killdeer. The mate appeared farther off.
Ernest Snavely,  Loris SC   snavely4@sccoast.net