4 spp. of Pterodroma off Hatteras; Space on Upcoming Trips

Dear Carolinabirders,

Our pelagic trips last weekend from Hatteras and Manteo were rather
successful in finding the rare gadfly petrels, especially on Monday.
Our trip from Hatteras that day, May 27, found 146 Black-capped Petrels,

one Herald Petrel, two Fea's Petrels, and two Bermuda Petrels, the
latter sitting together with three Black-caps!  Our trip from Manteo
that day saw 31 Black-caps, one Fea's, and two Heralds, the latter two
flying together!  All of the rare petrels on both Monday trips were seen

close to the boats.  Single distant Herald Petrels were seen off
Hatteras on May 25 and off Manteo on May 26.  We saw two distant Heralds

off  Manteo on May 24, and we saw three close Heralds off Hatteras on
May 26.  A couple of other small gadfly petrels were seen on May 26 from

each port- these may have been either Fea's or Bermuda Petrels.  Variety

was good for the weekend with 12 or more true pelagic species on most
days, and 14 species off Manteo on May 24 and 26!  With the exception of

Cory's, shearwaters were in short supply, but there was a good jaeger
migration underway, with 78 Pomarines and 4 Long-taileds on May 24!  We
will post the complete list for all the trips on our website soon.

Our trips from Manteo on May 31 and from Hatteras on June 1 and June 2
have a handful of spaces still available.  We also have a number of
openings on our trip from Manteo on June 8 and we NEED people for June 9

in order to avoid canceling it.  If you would like to join any of these
trips please call me at (252) 986-1363. I will not be able to get e-mail

from Thursday afternoon until Friday night, so please CALL if you would
like to get on these trips.  I can't promise it will be as good as last
weekend, but we do have several keen leaders on the trips this weekend
as well as near boatfloads of eager participants, so hopefully no
goodies will slip by unseen.  More information about all of these trips
can be found on our website at http://www.patteson.com/.  I hope that
some of you can join us on  these trips.

Brian Patteson
Hatteras, NC
Brian@Patteson.com