Re: whips, bobwhites

>>I think the tried and true strategy is to drive slowly down a gravel road in an area where they are calling - they are known to sit in roads, and you can pick them up by the reflection of your headlights in their eyes.

Can one distinguish nightjars in the Carolinas by eyeshine color?

>>I, personally, almost always hear Bobwhites rather than see them.

Once I saw a lone bobwhite walking along the field near my yard -- I was alerted to his presence by a soft clucking sound. I have stumbled upon a covey in our woods a time or two. I used to hear them daily, but they seem to have grown scarce.

---
Leah Campbell
Blackstock, SC
leahcam@lycos.com

Outgrown your current e-mail service?
Get a 25MB Inbox, POP3 Access, No Ads and No Taglines with LYCOS MAIL PLUS.
http://login.mail.lycos.com/brandPage.shtml?pageId=plus