Sabine's Gull at Bald Head

I had the opportunity to bird Brunswick County Islands this week (walking
over 32 miles worth).  By far the best bird was a Sabines's Gull seen very
well near the point of Cape Fear at Bald Head.  Saw the bird today between
11:15 and noon.  The bird was a first summer bird, but still spectacular.
The wings, back and tail looked essentially adult-like.  Only the head lacked
the full hood.  The bird was first observed in flight approximately 50 yards
offshore, and about 0.25-mile north of the Cape Fear point.  The sea was
relatively calm compared to the past several days.  The bird fed for over 30
minutes in small patches of sargassum weed just beyond the breakers.  It
spent a lot of time and effort swimming.   It's behavior was more like a
Bonaparte's gull.  The bird flew and landed on the beach and sat with
approximately 225 Royal Terns and 10 laughing gulls.  Although the bird sat
with the flock for over 10 minutes, it did not appear to really associate
with the flock.  It flew back beyond the breakers and sat feeding and
eventually started flying north.  I watched the bird for over 45 minutes and
had great and close-up views.

Until today, I was sure that the best bird of the week was an adult breeding
plumaged Arctic Tern near the west end of Holden Beach flying and feeding
relatively close to shore on Wednesday.  I had good looks at this bird, as
well.

Mississippi Kite on Tuesday along 133 just north of Southport.  Far fewer
nesting Wilson's Plovers this year compared to last year along these same
stretches of beach.

Sam Cooper
Wilmington, NC