A wonderful time of year...

There's a small clearing in the woods behind my work.  I explore these woods
often and the clearing is one of my favorite spots to sit.  Today my path to
the clearing was blocked by two Carolina Wrens.  They were muttering back
and forth softly, probably on alert from the one that had alarmed earlier
when I first entered the woods, I'm sure they heard him.  I didn't try to go
any farther while they were there, especially when they were soon joined by
two young ones.  The parents took off and I was left watching the kids.
They hopped around some branches checking every little crevice their beaks
would fit into.  They soon flew off, in search of their parents probably, so
I proceeded toward the clearing.

The baseline of the field dropped off a bit when I reached it, quieting
down.  You could feel the difference.  So I sat down and waited for it to
pick back up.  It didn't take long for activity to return.  A group of Brown
Headed Nuthatch's to my right were making the most noise.  I couldn't help
but feel bad for their parents, the little ones must have been pestering
them nonstop.  Wrens were flying back and forth across the far side of the
field from one thicket to another.  They just have to investigate every
noise they hear I think.  A female Cardinal kept chasing Cowbirds away from
her thick mass of a rose bush, and two Red Bellied woodpeckers were
following each other about all around the field.  I felt compassion for a
fluttering insect as a Bluebird chased it down, this drama was in the middle
of the field in full sun.  The only bird that didn't seem to have family
close-by was a Towhee just into the edge of the woods, he kept 'wheet'ing
away as if looking for a friend.

I just couldn't get over the amount of action, and the difference of it from
the past winter months.  Every bird seemed to be in family groups rather
than mixed flocks.  The new ones learning how loud their voices can go and
the limits of their wings.  The old ones trying to lead them around, showing
them where and how to hunt for themselves.  It seems a lot of the young ones
don't care much for that method though, they'd rather follow the parents
around chattering loudly until their beak is filled with a meal... temporary
silence for the parents.  A great time of year though, much to watch and a
great feeling of love in the air.

Have a wonderful weekend all, take care, Craig Armstrong / Chapel Hill