Bob White Quails

On a Carolina Butterfly Society trip to Yadkin County, June 1, we saw at
least 4 Bob Whites, one which was  within 2 feet of us on an overgrown
field as we walked through it.  Another went right through the yard of a
members house in this rural part of the county north of Winston-Salem.
He too,was not very scared of us as we got good looks at him. During the
day we heard their familiar call around his large farm..

Other birds included a Summer Tanager,Meadowlarks,Chipping Sparrows,
Goldfinches, Indigo Buntings,R.T Hummingbirds, Brown Headed
Nuthatches,Downy Woodpecker,Wood Thrushes, and the usual avian
residents. Also we found one lost(?) domestic hen on a wooded trail in
Historic Bethabara Park.  Unfortuately the number of butterfly species
was slim on this very hot,homid day except for an abundance of Great
Spangled Frittilaries. Our afternoon was rewarded with a strong thunder
shower which cooled things off dramatically.

Jules Fraytet
Charlotte,NC