Peregrines at Whiteside Mt.

The Highlands Biological Station ornithology class spent the morning
watching two recently fledged Peregrines flying around in front of the
Whiteside Cliffs. When we arrived on top of the cliff it was completely
socked in by low-hanging clouds, but as we walked along the top of the cliff
we heard young Peregrines begging for food. The clouds soon blew away and we
went down to a rocky outcrop east of the main cliff where we could look back
at the cliff face and at about 10:20 we heard the youngsters again and
eventually saw them flying around in front of the cliff. There were, judging
by the ruckus, 2 food deliveries while we watched. Not great viewing--the
young were pretty far away and are just about exactly the same color as most
of the cliff face!--but it was exciting to see them and know that this pair
fledged at least 2 in 2002.

We can also confirm that Dark-eyed Juncos, Eastern Towhees, and Blue-headed
Vireos are a long way from being endangered! Plenty of Black and White
Warblers on the mountain as well, and we saw a pretty pitched battle between
2 Canada Warblers who couldn't decide exactly who owned one part of the
trail coming down off the backside of the mountain.

Rob Bierregaard
Highlands Biological Station (temporarily)
Highlands, NC