Chapel Hill Spring Bird Count results

Chapel Hill Spring Bird Count Compiler's Comments

The Chapel Hill Spring Bird Count on May 12, 2002 had near the highest
amount of observer effort ever (190.4 party-hours), which produced a record
high count of individuals and many record high counts of individual species.
The total of 122 species is average, but the total of 13706 birds beats the
old record by almost 2000.

Several unusual species were found, the best of which were 2 Semipalmated
Sandpipers at the Farrington Road wastewater plant (Stephen Perry and Brian
Bockhahn), 2 Caspian Terns (Doug Shadwick) and 1 Forster's Tern (Ginger
Travis) at Jordan Lake, and a Swainson's Warbler at New Hope Creek (Kent
Fiala).  Other birds we usually miss included American Black Duck and Wild
Turkey.

Record highs were many, thanks in part to the high level of participation.
Even with that taken into consideration, though, we had an excellent count.
Great Blue Herons continue their steep ascent, thanks in large part to the
breeding colony at Cub Creek, Jordan Lake, found by Alan Johnston.  This
year's total of 243 is over 100 more than the previous record of 138, set
last year.  In the recent past, 10-20 Great Blues was a normal count.  We
also set record highs for Great Egret, Turkey Vulture, Wood Duck, Mallard,
Wild Turkey, Ruby-throated Hummingbird, Red-headed, Red-bellied, Downy, and
Pileated Woodpeckers, Eastern Wood-Pewee, Great Crested Flycatcher, Blue-
headed Vireo, Fish Crow, Carolina Chickadee, White-breasted and Brown-headed
Nuthatches, Carolina Wren, Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, American Robin, Brown
Thrasher, Pine Warbler, Prothonotary Warbler, Ovenbird, Louisiana
Waterthrush, Eastern Towhee, Chipping Sparrow, Song Sparrow, Northern
Cardinal, Indigo Bunting, Brown-headed Cowbird, and House Finch.  The record
high counts for woodpeckers may be related to the large number of dead trees
from Hurricane Fran. We've also been setting record highs lately for them
during the Christmas Bird Counts.

We didn't set any record lows, though we missed Bobolink for the first time
since 1971, and had very low numbers of Northern Bobwhite (continuing the
long decline), Solitary Sandpiper (Spotteds were numerous), and Kentucky
Warbler (missed at Mason Farm this year).

The prize for the party with the highest count this year goes to the team of
Shelley Theye, Jill Froning, Lee Van Malssen, Todd Bishop, and Roy Lindholm,
who covered their home area near Jordan Lake and racked up 91 species and
1345 birds.  This may have something to do with the rate of speed at which
Jill moves (and counts). :-)

Thanks to all participants for another great count!

Participation: 58 observers in 25 groups
Party Hours: 190.4 (132.8 by foot, 51.1 by car, 6.5 by kayak)
Party Miles: 435 (114.5 by foot, 315 by car, 5.5 by kayak)
Owling: 3.75 hours and 5 miles
Weather: low 59, high 87; no precipitation; wind SW 5-10 mph; mostly sunny.

--
Charles W. "Will" Cook                  w 919-660-7423
http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook            cwcook@duke.edu