Lost and Found Dept. White-winged crossbill in SC.

Birders,
Today June 7 I went to the home of Liz Ciardi in Tega Cay, SC (Exit 88 off
I-77) to check on a reported WHITE-WINGED CROSSBILL. Almost immediately a
sub-adult male WHITE-WINGED CROSSBILL appeared and leisurely fed off the
thistle feeder about 18 inches from the kitchen window. The bird still
retains many gold/brown feathers on the upper and underparts with pink
feathering coming in all over the body. The bill is noticeably thinner than
red crossbill; the white on the wings is a thick bar, really more of a wedge
shaped patch. The sides of the belly retain some streaking. Liz had called me
about this bird a couple of weeks ago but said that it was no longer coming
in to the feeder. Yesterday the bird re-appeared and came in all day and
several times this AM.
Liz is happy to have birders call and come to see the bird. Call her at
803-802-2631.

Taylor Piephoff
Charlotte, NC
PiephoffT@aol.com