work day at beaver lake

	Friends in the Asheville area, we're doing another work day at
Beaver Lake Bird Sanctuary on Saturday, June 22, from 8:30 a.m. to noon.

	Bring work gloves, loppers, rubber boots, pruning saws.  Wear long
sleeves and pants and sun protection.

	The day's agenda:  Mulching, weeding, pruning, picking up trash,
and attacking invasive/exotic plants:  Bittersweet, privet, multiflora
rose, spotted knapweed, and more.

	In case of rain, we'll reschedule to Sunday, June 23, from 4 to
6:30 p.m.

	Information:  828/254-7618, or eljeep@mindspring.com.  The
sanctuary is a project of Elisha Mitchell Audubon of Buncombe and Henderson
Counties.  But non-members are welcome to join in.

Len Pardue, Asheville NC

	PS -- The heavy rains of last week caused problems at our
eco-filter pond.  The outflow structure clogged, and the emergency spillway
couldn't handle the volume of water -- so water washed over the side of the
pond, damaging a section of path.  We're calling in an engineer to
determine corrective action.