other listserv reports

Hi Carolinabirders,

Had some time to relax, so have been surfing other states' listservs.
Points of interest:

On the Tennessee listserv, a report that the Mourning Warbler is still on
Roan Mountain along the TN/NC border as of yesterday.

The Delaware list has a report of a European Greenfinch at Bombay Hook
NWR, also on Sunday. No indications as yet whether this bird might be an
escape vs. a wild vagrant. Bombay Hook is probably an 8-hour drive from
the Triangle.

South Texas, which had lots of migrants but no real vagrants when I was
there a few weeks ago, now has both a Yellow-faced Grassquit and a
Rose-throated Becard! Both appear to be nesting in Santa Ana NWR, though
the Grassquit's marital status seems unclear, and the Becard is apparently
raising a cowbird chick.

All this and more can be read about via Jack Siler's website at
http://birdingonthe.net/birdmail.html

Back here on Lynch Street, a neighbor who used to do yard work for the
former owners of our house (two sisters who each lived past the age of
100) has been doing the same for us, unbidden. He tilled the yard
recently, probably a bad idea given the dry conditions. However, the mini-
dust bowl he created has attracted nearly as many birds as my bird bath. I
thought at first they were foraging on uncovered seeds and insects, but
they are spending much more time preening than feeding, so they must be
dust bathing instead.

Good birding,

Josh

Joshua S. Rose