Hilton Pond 06/08/02 (Black Caterpillar)

HI . . .

Larvae from moths and butterflies are becoming more active as the
season unfolds. This week we found a bristly black caterpillar at
Hilton Pond Center for Piedmont Natural History that is the focus for
the current installment of "This Week at Hilton Pond."

Just click on http://www.hiltonpond.org/ThisWeek020608.html for the
week of 8-14 June 2002 to access this week's photo essay.

There's also the usual list of banded and recaptured birds, of
special interest because a Downy Woodpecker became our 41,000th bird
banded locally since 1982.

We were on vacation for most of the fist week in June but did catch a
couple of Ruby-throated Hummingbirds from years past; the brief
summary is at http://www.hiltonpond.org/ThisWeek020601.html .

Please forward this message to folks you know who share our interest
in nature.  :-)

Happy Nature Watching!

BILL
--

BILL HILTON JR., "The Piedmont Naturalist"
hilton@hiltonpond.org, (803) 684-5852, eFax: (503) 218-0845

Please visit our web sites (courtesy of Comporium.net) at
http://www.hiltonpond.org and
http://www.rubythroat.org

"Never trust a person too lazy to get up for sunrise or too busy to
watch the sunset."					BHjr.