horned lark juvenile in Watauga Cnty

Just back from Rich Mtn. Gap where I was surprised to encounter one horned
lark juvenile walking in the pasture close to the road on the Rich Mtn. Bald
side of the gap.  I suspect he could be easily relocated for a few hours,
perhaps days, should anyone want to look.

This is the 2nd time I've ever seen a horned lark in Watauga Cnty, and the
first time I've ever seen one in this gap (another for the Rich Mtn. Gap
list--yeah!).  Curtis Smalling's Watauga Cnty list indicates they are
suspected of breeding in Watauga; perhaps this will add a bit to the scant
evidence.

Rich Mtn. Gap is on Rich Mtn. Rd. west of Boone, NC.

On the home front, we have been having a bald gold finch visiting our
feeders.  Looks very strange.  A bizarre cross between gold finch and black
vulture, perhaps.

Walton Conway
The Golden Cockerel, Boone, NC
www.goldencockerel.com