bird families

Dear Carolina Birders,
I know that young birds of prey remain with their parents for some time
(several months), learning to hunt and so forth. What about songbirds? How
long do fledlings remain in the company of their parents? Is it quite
variable among species? I have read that some juveniles will even assist in
feeding subsequent broods. This summer I have seen young nuthatches,
bluebirds, phoebes, tanagers, chickadees, titmice, and even gnatcatchers --
all doing the "feed me" tantrum (chirping and gaping with fluttering wings).
How long does this behavior typically last? How long after they begin
feeding themselves do they separate from their parents and siblings?
Thanks bunches! Leah

p.s. Someone from the listserve mentioned that my lycos emails were
difficult to read (no word-wrap option available), so I am trying this one.