RE: bird families

On Tues, Jun. 18, I wrote:

>>Dear Carolina Birders,
I know that young birds of prey remain with their parents for some time
(several months), learning to hunt and so forth. What about songbirds? How
long do fledglings remain in the company of their parents? Is it quite
variable among species? I have read that some juveniles will even assist in
feeding subsequent broods. This summer I have seen young nuthatches,
bluebirds, phoebes, tanagers, chickadees, titmice, and even gnatcatchers --
all doing the "feed me" tantrum (chirping and gaping with fluttering wings).
How long does this behavior typically last? How long after they begin
feeding themselves do they separate from their parents and siblings? <<

Well, I did a little research on my own and found some interesting tidbits
to add. The following is an excerpt from The Audubon Backyard Birdwatcher
book:

Young [American] crows may live with their parents for up to four years,
helping with territorial defense, nest-building, and feeding of later
broods. It is also not unusual for the first brood raised by a pair of
bluebirds to help with feeding the second brood. In one amazing observation,
a male bluebird that was nesting a mile from his parents brought his own
offspring to assist in rearing one of his parents' later broods.

Wow! Really cool. I would love to hear from others on this topic.

Sincerely,
Leah Campbell
Blackstock, SC