Re: RFI Charlotte, NC (fwd); Powerline perchers; yard woodpeckers

Hi Carolinabirders,

Walker posted a few years ago. It appears to be oriented NORTH of
Charlotte, unfortunately not the direction Ritch was most interested in;
but maybe someone can compose and post a southerly alternative list...

As for oddball birds on powerlines, at the third annual Dragonfly Days
festival a few weeks ago, I saw a duck perched on a powerline! Black-
bellied Whistling-Duck, to be specific. Really funny-looking.

Added Hairy and Red-bellied Woodpecker to the new yard list today! The
Hairy was a fledgling of this year, with red over most of its cap, and was
"peek"ing at us as I took our cat for his first walk outside since we
moved. We were sad to hear that two large woodpecker-prone trees were
removed by neighbors from their yard just before we moved in, but
apparently there are still enough dead limbs and such around to draw some
attention.

Good birding,

Josh

Joshua S. Rose