Yard Bird #166

This evening (20 June 2002), whilst out for a pleasant evening
stroll, I heard the clucking of a hen Wild Turkey who strutted in and
out of view several times, becoming the 166th species heard or seen
at Hilton Pond Center for Piedmont Natural History since 1982. I
suspect she was trying to distract me me away from a nest or brood.
(I previously had found tracks, droppings, and feathers from Wild
Turkeys but never confirmed one on the property.)

This is the second new species in 20 days (counting the
Chuck-will's-widow on 28 May). I hardly know what to make of it.   :-)

See http://www.hiltonpond.org/ChecklistBirdMain.html for the complete list.

Happy Birding,

BILL
--

BILL HILTON JR., "The Piedmont Naturalist"
hilton@hiltonpond.org, (803) 684-5852, eFax: (503) 218-0845

Please visit our web sites (courtesy of Comporium.net) at
http://www.hiltonpond.org and
http://www.rubythroat.org

"Never trust a person too lazy to get up for sunrise or too busy to
watch the sunset."					BHjr.