Re: bird families

FWIW, Brown-headed Nuthatch, Chimney Swift and Red-cockaded Woodpecker (to
name a few of our fine Southern birds) have been documented as "cooperative"
breeders. Normally it's a male bird from the previous year's brood that
assists its parents in raising this year's offspring.

While researching BHNU (B-r-o-w-n-h-e-a-d-e-d N-u-t-h-a-t-c-h for those of
you that are alpha-code challenged, or can't follow the thread of a
msg...oops, m-e-s-s-a-g-e) a few years back ('cuz I think they're way-cool
birds and I got a grade for it)  Dr. Kim Smith was of the opinion that some
DNA (D-e-o-x-y-r-i-b-o-N-u-c-l-e-i-c A-c-i-d) work would be interesting, and
might show that jr.'s (j-u-n-i-o-r's) not so altruistic. Some bluebird work
showed multiple paternity in a number of nests, if I recall the
communications correctly.

I hope I never reach the stage where I'm unwilling (or unable) to learn
something new.

"And that's all I have to say about that." (Forrest Gump)

Cheers y'all,
;-)
gary

Gary Phillips
Conway, SC
Sunset Zone 31
walela@sccoast.net
"...where is the person, I ask, who, on observing this glittering fragment
of the rainbow, would not pause, admire, and turn his mind with
reverence..." (J. J. Audubon)