Re: Ivory Billed query

>Not related to NC birding, but something I've been curious
>about...Political problems aside, has there been any discussion in academic
>circles concerning the Ivory Bill population in Cuba? Does it still exist,
>and if so, has anyone pondered cultivating that flock and perhaps
>reintroducing it in the US?

  The Cuban Ivorybill was last spotted around 1991. Physical evidence
of it was found around 1999 and searchers have been looking since,
with no public confirmation (some speculate it has been found, is
being monitored, but no disclosure being given).
National Audubon Society has bought(or acquired) the 'search rights' from
the Cuban gov't. to the area of interest (eastern mountain pine forest) and
is allowing no one else in except their own staff, much to the chagrin of
some well-known IBW searchers. Even if found the nos. would be far too low
to re-introduce to US. -- it would take every ounce of energy just to save
them in Cuba. But currently the ball is in
Nat. Audubon's hands on how to proceed and what info to release.
....that's my current understanding of things

**Rob Gluck.......Chapel Hill, NC....... thrush@hotmail.com