Re: urban birds

Joshua Stuart Rose wrote:

[rest of post snipped]

> Only other house events of note were bugs, a Grapevine Beetle (Pelidnota
> punctata) at the porch light last night, and some kind of little gray bee
> carrying a round green package into the drain-holes under our
> aforementioned windowbox. No idea of the identity of the bee or the round
> green thing it was carrying, or of the bee's purpose in the windowbox.

Aha!  I think I may have some of the same bees here!  I have a water
dish for my dogs directly underneath a spigot for easy refilling, and
I've noticed that when I turn on the water, the water in the dish has
little green leaves in it.  Since I always empty the dish before
refilling it, I *know* that the leaves were not in the dish itself (also
I did not see any leaves in the dish); therefore, it would seem that the
leaves must have been in the spigot  --  but what put them there?  and
why?  Not only is there no plant growing up into the spigot, the leaves
don't even seem to match anything in that vicinity.  I have not really
examined the leaves, just shook my head in bewilderment, but the leaves
were not apparently chewed into pieces that would fit into the spigot,
nor do they seem damaged in any way.

Hmmmm........  Tiz a puzzlement,

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC