unknown sparrow

Dear Carolina Birders,
Today I saw a juvenile sparrow in my yard that I could not identify. Here
are my observations:
--following a similar bird which I did not get a clear view of; assuming it
was a parent
--made lots of twittering sounds
--my yard is mostly mature oaks, pines, and sweetgums, bordering a field on
one side and a large acreage of woodland on the other
--at first glance looked like a chippy, but notably larger
--through binoculars: whitish underneath, fine streaking on breast, faint
throat stripes, solid chestnut cap, pale (pink?) legs and bill,
tortoise-shell colored wings, notched tail

My best guess is a juvenile field sparrow, but I saw none of the buffy color
I expected underneath. I also have not heard the "ping-pong ball" song,
which I have heard elsewhere. I will continue to observe him as long as he
remains in the yard; perhaps I can get a better look at the parent bird.

Leah Campbell     3/4/78
Blackstock, SC
leahcam@lycos.com
faeriemaiden@hotmail.com