Lynch's Woods, 28 June

Having passed my threshold number for the number of times during the week
that I think about the refrain to Johnny Paycheck's biggest hit, I played
hooky from work on Friday and made my way to Lynch's Woods in Newberry
County.  Because we are on the lip of the "July doldrums", my goal was real
simple - I wanted to listen to Blue-headed Vireos singing just once more
this breeding season.

By 8:00 am, I had achieved that goal, standing for many moments listening
intently to an invisible Blue-headed Vireo siging high in the top of a
tulip poplar (aka yellow poplar, tuliptree).  Also very much in song were
numerous Red-eyed Vireos, some with rather musical variations on the usual
Red-eyed chant.

There were a few surprises for me yet at Lynchs Woods as I made my way on
around the four mile loop road.  I got a glimpse of fast-gliding Cooper's
Hawk overhead through the trees.  The bonus bird (and a county bird to
boot) was a singing Scarlet Tanager.  As Robin says, they are pretty thinly
distributed through the Piedmont. However, if I had been intent on finding
Scarlet Tanager in Newberry county, I would have started with Lynch's
Woods.  As it was, the bird was a nice surprise and a "bonus".  Specific
directions to Lynch's Woods and to the bird are on the way to you, Leah!

Birding sures beats working.

Donna Slyce Bailey
Winnsboro, SC

e-mail: dsbailey@conterra.com

	Where are the Birds?  Migration across South Carolina