RFI RC Woodpecker, Croatan NF

Hello Carolina Birders,

I'm a birder from Massachusetts who will be visiting North Carolina,
primarily the Outer Banks, this August.  We are also planning to spend a
day or so in Croatan National Forest looking for Red-cockaded
Woodpecker.  I realize that we will be visiting after breeding season,
which will make the birds harder to find, but we will give it a shot
anyway.

According to John Fussell's Birder's Guide to Coastal North Carolina,
three prime locations would appear to be FSR 121-2 in the northern part
of the forest and the Millis Swamp Road Flatwoods and the Millis Road
Savannah in the southern part.  A couple of questions:  Are any of these
spots any more likely than the others?  Do you know the location of any
currently active colonies in the Croatan where we should position
ourselves at dawn or dusk?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Please reply privately, or to the list if you think these questions are
of general interest.  Thanks

Glen Tepke
Boston
g.tepke@verizon.net