Mourning Warbler/Roan Mountain/yes

Folks,
        Bob Olthoff and I went up to Roan Mountain this AM to try for the
Mourning Warbler.  We arrived at Carver's Gap at 8:30 AM and hiked up to the
spot being reported.  It took us one hour, and we both have Asthma, so an
hour is reasonable hiking time.  We bumped into Wade Fuller and friend who
were on their way down.  Wade said, "be patient and you will see the bird."
Bob and I hung around from 9:30 -10:00 AM and then saw the bird for the
first time.  It was sitting in the group of Fir Trees about 100 -150 feet
off the right side of the trail.  This is a group of 4 trees in a line with
a few more trees behind it.  The bird was sitting about 1/2 way up, on the
outermost branch on the right side of the right most tree in the group.  It
then flew left and disappeared into the heavy brush.  He then flew to the
other side of the trail.  A short time later he flew back to the same area
but much closer to us, where we got brief, but very good views.  He did sing
several times, but not like I have heard Mourning Warblers sing in the past.
It was a much softer song and abreviated. He worked himself around the area
in a circle and then popped up and sang from the top of the Fir tree that is
on the right hand side of the trail further up the hill.  This tree is right
at the edge of the trail, as described by Bill McDavitt.  I was able to
video the bird but the lighting was very poor due to heavy, dark clouds in
the area, but you can clearly hear the bird singing on the tape.
        The key to seeing this bird is patience.  Bob and I tried last year
at the same location, but didn't give it enough time.
Regards,
Wayne
Wayne K. Forsythe
Hendersonville, N. C. 28791