The "usual suspects" takes on a new meaning

This weekend Janet and I went to Little Switzerland near Spruce Pine.

We drove up to Devils Courthouse N. of Mt Pisgah, and saw a peregrine falcon.

The "usual suspects" atop Mt. Mitchell were veery, and winter wren.  At the
turn-off to Mt Mitchell State park we enjoyed chestnut-sided warblers and
blackburnian warblers as well as blue-headed vireo.

The "usual suspects" takes on a whole new meaning in the mountains.  Ain't
it grand.  The winter wren was close enough and the wind still so I
actually could hear it.

We went to Emerald Village near Little Switzerland where I think I saw 2
bank swallows.  They are pretty rare in the mtn.  I didn't have my binocs
available, so am not sure.  If anyone is playing flatland tourister at
Little Switzerland, I would be glad to hear if my glimpse was correct.

Tom

Tom Krakauer
Bahama, Durham County, NC
tkrakauer@mindspring.com